You are here:Home » UK » Indian Designer to Exhibit at Sotheby's London From May 8–15

Indian Designer to Exhibit at Sotheby's London From May 8–15

Indian designer Sabyasachi Mukherjee's wedding saris and a range of specially commissioned shawls and headbands will be showcased as part of the 'Inspired by India' selling exhibition of contemporary design at Sotheby's in London from May 8–15, 2012.

Sotheby's reputed curator Janice Blackburn feels Mukherjee was an undisputed choice for the segment.
"He is to my mind the finest and most original of the Indian dress and accessory designers. He doesn't look to the west for his inspiration but rather the colorful low life of India — gypsies, the desert, Bollywood," Blackburn said.
"His work is very Indian but in a way that in the west we understand and appreciate and value," added Blackburn.

Mukherjee, who regularly designs for the who's who of the country, and also dressed international talk show queen Oprah Winfrey on her India visit, is ecstatic about the news.

"I'm feeling happy that I am being recognized for being Indian, primarily for being myself. I have always said that the only way to become global is to have a local soul. And I am really happy that this is being validated time and again in my career," he said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment